Wednesday

Star Trek Sets Phasers to Blu-Ray!

No need to beam me up, I'm already in orbit! This week I found out that the original Star Trek series and movies are coming to Blu-Ray April 28th. This long awaited Blu-Ray bonanza begins with season 1 of TOS (that's The Original Series to you earthlings) and is to be followed closely by seasons 2, 3 and the first six Star Trek films. If you haven't guessed, this news makes me happier than a Tribble in a storage compartment of quadro-triticale. 

If you haven't seen the original series in a while, you're in for a treat. The remastered live action footage look brand new and the new special effects are amazing. What's fun about these high-def discs (for purists) is that you'll be able to watch both the newly remastered episodes as well as the original episodes with their old school effects. Either way, the stories are still relevant and entertaining morality tales exploring the human condition. In space!

About a year ago, I came "this" close to getting a HD-DVD player based solely on the fact that the first three season of Star Trek had been released on that format. Despite my nerdly urges I resisted the gravitational pull of my favorite TV show in high definition and now I can only pity those who couldn't. 

Of course, in typical of Star Trek fashion, a red shirt takes one for the team. Because when the 6 pack of movies is released it will include the 1979 theatrical release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture instead of 2001s highly superior Director's Edition. I mean, c'mon, they're only doing this because they suspect I'll buy the director's edition when it comes out on Blu-Ray too. I don't know why they'd think this. I've only ever bought that movie on VHS, Laser Disc (first full screen then wide screen), then DVD, then the Director's Edition on DVD. What's a few more formats between friends? 

On the plus side, the set will also include a digitally remastered edition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn so they've pretty much got me by both nacelles. My favorite TV show will finally be in dazzling high definition. I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and watch it!

Star Trek Blu-Ray on Amazon
Original Series: Available April 28, 2009
Original Motion Picture Collection: Available May 12, 2009
Motion Picture Trilogy: Available May 12, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment