Tuesday

Gilligan's Island (and my brush with immortality)

To say I just grew up watching reruns of Gilligan's Island is a gross under- statement. I absorbed and studied every one of the 98 original episodes, the 2 animated series (Filmation's The New Adventures of Gilligan's Island and Gilligan's Planet) and even the 3 reunion movies. I wanted to live on that island. I longed to have my own grass hut, drink from coconut cups and drive that bamboo peddle car. But mostly I wanted to spend time with the funny, tight-knit family of seven stranded castaways.

So, when I had the chance to work with one of the stars of Gilligan's Island, I didn't hesitate. I had just started writing and producing commercials for Papa Gino's, a chain of pizza restaurants in and around the Boston area. I was looking for an announcer to be "the voice of Papa Gino's" and heard one man's smokey, romanticized delivery that I thought would be perfect for the new campaign. The name on the audition tape was Russell Johnson, but even then I hadn't recognized him as none other than the Professor. As soon I learned who he was (I thought the name sounded familiar!) and that he lived near Seattle, no other voice talent could possibly measure up.

About once a month for a little over two years, Mr. Johnson would show up in the recording studio to lay down a new TV voiceover for me. Naturally, I was so star struck and and dumb struck by his presence that I never had the chance to tell him what an important show Gilligan's Island was to me. Oh, I'm sure I said (very cooly), "big fan, loved the show, blah blah blah." When really what I wanted to say was, "Oh my freaking hell, you're the Professor! I love you! I love Gilligan's Island! I'm not worthy! Sign my face!" Even after many, many recording sessions I felt small and shy around the man I hired. 

Looking back, there was no reason for me to feel that way. He was always warm, friendly and extremely hard working. If anyone asked him questions about Gilligan's Island - which I was too dumb to do - he would cheerily provide us with charming anecdotes and behind-the-scenes gossip. Though I no longer work with the Professor (I mean Russell), I still have all 98 original episodes and can visit with him and the other castaways  whenever I want.

Trivia: In the series first episode, the radio announcer read all the castaway's full names (except Gilligan's). The Professor's real name was Roy Hinkley. In the unaired pilot episode, the Professor was played by John Gabriel. Also in the pilot, two secretaries (Ginger and Bunny) were recast and rewritten as a movie star and farm girl, Ginger and Mary Ann.

Exposé: Was Gilligan's island really the first salvo of liberal Hollywood's "gay agenda"? This web site offers a fascinating observation.

1 comment:

  1. There were a couple of times in their where he was not only warm and fuzzy, but he was three sheets to the wind!

    ReplyDelete