Saturday

TV Tour: New York City

It should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I view every new experience through the lens of television. Recognizing locations from favorite TV shows and movies is always foremost on my mind in any new city. So on my first trip to New York City, I wasn't really visiting "The Big Apple," I was visiting the sets for Ugly Betty, How I Met Your Mother, Flight of the Conchords, Sex and the City, 30 Rock, Saturday Night Live, Mad Men, the list goes on and on...

For instance, my hotel room had a spectacular view of "that building from King Kong." I hear it's actually called The Empire State Building, but that didn't stop me from peering at the top and picturing a 40-foot tall ape there.

Stopping at Rockefeller Center had me scanning the crowds for a glimpse of Tina Fey. My walk through Central Park brought to mind scenes from The Clock, Six Degrees of Separation and Green Card. And when I saw the statue of a sled dog there, I knew at once that it was Balto from the 1995 animated film.

Of course, no trip to NYC would be complete without stopping at at FAO Schwarts to see the oversized piano from the movie, Big (it does not disappoint) and the New York Public Library from Ghost Busters. And while Time Square was the electric, energetic and bustling location you'd expect, I got excited because I knew that not long ago, Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin were here ringing in the New Year.

The one exception was Grand Central Station. Sure it was featured in Madagascar, Superman: The Movie,  Men in Black and I Am Legend. But the first thing I thought when I saw it? Oh my God, it looks just like the model from Legoland!

Next time, I need to visit that store from Breakfast at Tiffany's and that museum from Night at the Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment